It sounds so obvious when one hears it out loud or sees it in print and yet, we seem constantly surprised by it too. And we resist it. There are entire models to describe the change cycle and they have this in common - we resist change. I often wonder about why this is. Is our yearning for stability a natural inclination or a socialised disposition? Why do we seem to resist change so hard sometimes and at others, actively seek it out? I am endlessly fascinated by it - how we deal with it, or not. By how I deal with it, or not. By what challenges it brings and what works, or not, to make it easier.
I think that by most standards I am inclined towards change - at some level, I even crave it. My Myers-Briggs type is known for being future focussed and so I have to work really hard at being in the moment, savouring the now. Also, I've experienced an above average number of changes in recent years, so perhaps it's become a habit too.
I think one of the key things that impacts on how differently we react to change (even how differently we react to change as individuals at different times in our lives) is whether it's change we choose, initiate and drive or change that happens to us. And I don't buy into all this phooey about how everything is a choice we make and nothing happens to us. Sure it does. We don't live in isolation, which means that other people's choices can have an effect on us that we sometimes cannot anticipate and certainly cannot control. This has been a lesson that I have learnt first-hand, sometimes extremely painfully. It is true that how we choose to respond to this change that's foisted on us is ours to make, but depending on the scale of the impact it has, we may be better or worse equipped to deal with it.
This space is going to be for the exploration of change. Big change, small changes - both those I choose and those that are chosen for me. It's where I'm going to plot and plan and process. It will be an introspective place. A place where I will allow myself to explore both the light and the dark of transformation in my life. As it's happened. As it happens.
And I'm going to try to do this effectively but try to remain true to my inclination to do so intuitively, perceptively, rather than through the application of reason and logic alone. Not that I don't think those are useful checks and balances to apply, only that in my experience their value is often seen to outweigh the former and I don't think for me that's true or that it necessarily makes me happier.
Again, it's about balance. And remembering that change is constant.

No comments:
Post a Comment