I really wanted to do this... Graciel's idea to express what we need in form of a sign struck me as a good one.
These are my current most important and unfulfilled needs:
1. Someone to go on holiday with :~ this is about more that the need for a holiday, which is true too, it's a recognition of the fact that I miss having someone to share those experiences with. I love to travel, I would go so far as to say, I need to travel, and I actually enjoy travelling alone sometimes. It affords a great opportunity to explore without taking account of any agenda but my own and engaging with whatever comes up, or not, as suits me. It's very liberating and I've had some of my most profound travel moments occur when I've been on my own. But sometimes there’s nothing to beat the pleasure of having someone else on the journey and the shared history that results. It's not a case of having just anybody along either. A bit like a really good shopping partner, a really good travel partner is hard to find. For one reason or another, my favourite people to travel with are no longer readily available to me, and I miss that.
2. Joy :~ I'm not referring to the joy to be found in small everyday things - getting lost in a good book, sipping a perfect cup of chai, soaking in a beautiful sky... these simple joyful moments I have many of and they do enrich my life enormously. It's about the very deep joy of connection, sharing, companionship. When I started to reflect on the most joyful times in my life so far, it seems that they often include spending real world time with the people I care about, people who get me, my family of the heart. And I realised that I don't have nearly enough of that in my life anymore. I don't really know how to tackle fulfilling this need as these people are spread across the globe and that's not going to change any time soon. But I need to do something because, truly, it's just plain lonely and joyless without them.
3. Purpose :~ a reason to get up and out every day. Vital. And I'm not sure what it is right now.
4. The sight, sound and smell of the sea :~ yes, really. Linked to the need for joy, another dimension of that for me is to feel connected to my world. Environment is very important to me and I feel most truly alive when I am near the sea. Like nowhere else. When I next make a significant move, even if it's to another city, it will be near the ocean. Maybe Vancouver.
5. Me :~ this one is hard to articulate. I don't mean that I have a need to go off, live in a commune, grow vegetables, or stare out at the horizon for hours to "find myself" but, on the other hand, these might not be bad ideas. I have always recognised myself as evolving, and as subject to change as the next person but at my core I've been quite certain of who I am, what my values are, and that I have a purpose and a place in the world.
When my husband left me after more than half a lifetime together, my foundation was completely rocked. It was about more than the sense of betrayal and abandonment and the hurt of that. It was about more than the practical challenges of forging a different, unplanned for, life for myself, alone. It made me question, fundamentally, my ability to trust in myself and my own judgement, about everything. If I got that so wrong, how can I trust anything that I think or feel or believe? Anything at all? I appreciate that this is a bit extreme and not entirely rational and I would never have anticipated it could shake me up so badly, but it did. The progress back from the brink of that has been slow and often painful and has - with all the other changes that I've undergone in the past few years in situation and circumstance, personal and professional - left me not only unsure of who I am now, or what my place and purpose are but also of who I want to be.
My brother's death has rocked me again. In a different way and for different reasons but as deeply. I feel cut loose: floating and amorphous. It's difficult to find anything inside or out to anchor myself to. But I recognise that if I am unable to do this, I cannot do anything at all but exist. There is no life to be had in that. And I choose to live, not exist. I need to find me. Whoever that might be now - either the parts of me I was, let go of in error and would like to rediscover, or the parts I have yet to unlock in becoming the me I am evolving towards. If I can’t figure this out, how will I know what I want or work out how to move towards it? And I hate to admit even to myself that I sometimes feel so very lost in this quest. I go for long periods trying to avoid looking at it because it can feel like an overwhelming and daunting task. But there it is. I need to find me.
If anyone sees me hitch-hiking on a road somewhere, please give me a lift. I could use the help.
My brother's death has rocked me again. In a different way and for different reasons but as deeply. I feel cut loose: floating and amorphous. It's difficult to find anything inside or out to anchor myself to. But I recognise that if I am unable to do this, I cannot do anything at all but exist. There is no life to be had in that. And I choose to live, not exist. I need to find me. Whoever that might be now - either the parts of me I was, let go of in error and would like to rediscover, or the parts I have yet to unlock in becoming the me I am evolving towards. If I can’t figure this out, how will I know what I want or work out how to move towards it? And I hate to admit even to myself that I sometimes feel so very lost in this quest. I go for long periods trying to avoid looking at it because it can feel like an overwhelming and daunting task. But there it is. I need to find me.
If anyone sees me hitch-hiking on a road somewhere, please give me a lift. I could use the help.


2 comments:
I'll most definitely give you a lift (or join you)!
I know where you are coming from - when the deep core of self isn't balanced, is aching, searching... everything seems half empty, unfulfilled.
Not sure if it can be completely filled by another person (whenever I think it can, I am disappointed) - when my center is so off balance, sometimes it is hard to find the deep contentment in who I am, and then I find it even harder to find contentment with others.
But traveling? Absolutely better to share it with someone!! Beauty, funny moments... so much better shared!!
So understandable that you are off balance with all that you are juggling - wish I could jump in and help!
I completely agree, the smell, sounds, feel of the sea is core to my being as well. I think the only time I feel deeply content is when I am near the sea. And so much better shared with someone who also feels the sea pulsing in their veins.
I vote for Vancouver!!
I am so very grateful to have found your blog - just randomly following links from one to another - and have loved your images and words about your alter egos. This is a road I too travel. I also relate to your heartfelt words about feeling untethered and the edge of fear this can create. Some of the alters are so very good at removing anchors and it feels great at the time but ultimately we all need one to stay sane. Sending love and light and following!
Post a Comment